“We must not ignore our greatest generation that has been asked to tighten its belts and now depends on us for support and care.”
John Upchurch is a fresh start to the past two decades of ineffective, do-nothing Washington politics. The 6th Congressional District needs a real-world, experienced advocate to stand up to Washington insiders and serve our diverse community.
John Upchurch has worked in our community as an attorney, businessman and respected civic leader for many years and has raised his family and lived among us his entire life.
The District needs a home-grown representative we know and trust and who has lived with the local issues that define us. We need someone who will take on the bully, President Trump, and who is a voice of reason with common sense solutions.
Where John Stands
- Never cut a dime from Social Security.
- Never raid the trust fund to pay for government waste.
- Shore up the program by raising the taxable income cap so that millionaires and billionaires pay the same in as everybody else.
- Ensure that benefits keep up with the cost of living.
- Stop giving massive handouts to corporations, and start giving a helping hand to small business.
- Cut unnecessary red tape and make it easier to start a business in our community.
- Make sure local businesses have access to disaster assistance loans following hurricanes and other natural disasters.
- Ensure women, veterans, and young people have the job training for in-demand industries, like manufacturing.
- Sponsor legislation to expand Medicare to cover all Americans.
- Expand funding for generic pharmaceutical drug creation to lower prices.
- Allow Medicare to negotiate down drug prices with Big Pharma.
- Fully fund community health centers so underserved communities have access to preventative health care.
- Address root causes, like overprescription and illegal sale, by stiffening penalties for opioid pushers.
- Direct federal funding to treatment centers, like our own Stewart-Marchman-Act Behavioral Health Centers.
- Fund education and awareness in our community.
- Introduce legislation to update our roads, bridges, seaports, airports, and rail lines. This will put millions to work in shovel-ready construction projects.
- Invest in green energy infrastructure to end our dependence on oil and reverse climate change.
- Ensure our utilities can withstand natural disasters, like hurricanes, by placing critical infrastructure underground.
- Invest in rebuilding dilapidated public schools.
- Give teachers a raise by creating an American Educators Refundable Tax Credit.
- Give every child a shot at higher education by expanding Pell Grants and other financial aid.
- Lowering interest rates and predatory practices for all federal student loans.
- Mandate universal background checks on every gun sale and change of ownership so criminals and terrorists can’t get their hands on guns.
- Expand mental health screening to ensure firearm owners are of sound mind.
- Prevent individuals on the federal No-Fly List from purchasing firearms.
- Ban “assault weapons” — semiautomatic firearms that have a large magazine and have been modified for rapid fire and combat use.
John Upchurch Pledges to Serve District 6
John Upchurch will fight Republican attempts to cut Social Security and will work to ensure benefits keep up with the cost of living.
John Upchurch believes every American has the right to high-quality, affordable health care.
As a small business owner himself, John Upchurch will be a voice for small business in Washington.
John Upchurch is ready to introduce legislation to put millions to work updating our nation's crumbling infrastructure.
John Upchurch has a four-point plan to end gun violence and fight for universal background checks.
It's time to find a solution to the opioid crisis. John Upchurch will make it happen.
Every child has a right to an education, regardless of where they live. John Upchurch will stand up for public education.
Florida's economy depends on our natural resources. John Upchurch will be a staunch defender of the environment.
John Upchurch's commitment to Florida's 6th Congressional District comes from his deep roots in the area. As a lifelong resident of the District and small business owner, he understands what hard-working Central Floridians need.